If you run a blog, then you do want it to have a different identity for itself. For a blog to be successful it should have a different and unique feel altogether. In many ways you can achieve this goal for you blog, but the first essential item in the checklist is a unique and recognizable name and domain for you blog.
Google’s blogger is the most popular platform for starting your personal or professional blog. But the “.blogspot.com” at the end of the URL of you blogger blog is not going to meet your blog’s branding needs.
For this uniqueness we are talking about you need a domain for you blog. You can run you blogger blog without a custom domain successfully but after a while you might feel the need for it.
And for this reason blogger allows you hosting on your own custom domain for you blog. You can add a top-level domain or a sub-domain for you blog. If you are planning to add a custom domain to you Blogger blog you must know:
- The Blogspot address will automatically forward to your new domain. Means any existing links, bookmarks, shares in any social media (i.e. likes, share, tweet, +1 etc.) of you blog and its posts will work and they will be redirect to the exact place.
- Your pages, posts and the posted images, comments will continue to display on your blog properly.
- You Feedburner user subscription and RSS feeds will work properly.
- Google+ and your Blogger blog’s association will work properly.
- You Blogger SEO settings (sitemaps, custom Meta tags, default and custom Robots.txt) will work properly.
So your blog will function properly after setting a domain. You can buy a domain from any domain registrar as long as they allow you to change the domain’s DNS settings. For setting up a custom domain for your blogger blog please follow the instructions below.
Step 1: Get CNAMEs for Your Blogger Blog
- Go to you blogger blog’s dashboard.
- Go to your blog’s “Settings > Basic”.
- Under the “Publishing” section, click “+ Setup a 3rd party URL for your blog”.
- Now in the opened section “Blog Address”.
- Type in your purchased domain name URL under “Third party domain settings”.
- Click “Save” Button. You will see an error message (We have been unable to…. ). Do not worry about this.
- Now after the error message you should see two CNAMEs listed below, like this image.
They comprise of two parts/fields – Name, Label or Host and Destination. First CNAME is common for everyone, Name being “www” and Destination “ghs.google.com”. Second CNAME is different for each blog as it is precise to your blog and your Google Account.
Step 2: Edit DNS Settings for You Domain
- Go to your domain registrar’s website and locate the DNS (Domain Name System) settings in the control panel or CPanel.
- Now you need to enter the two CNAMEs which you got from the blogger settings (Step:1-7).Where it says Name, Label or Host simply enter “www” and list ghs.google.com as the Destination, Target or Points to. Enter the second CNAME in the same way.See the example for godaddy.com.
For godday you need to go to the “DNS Zone file” of your domain and edit it find “CNAME(Alias)” and paste them.
- Now you can also need to enter A(Address)-records. If you skip this step, visitors who leave off the “www” on the URL will see an error page instead of you blog page. You need to create four separate “A-records” which points to four different Google IPs. These “A-records” a common for each blogger user and blog. They are;
|Host||IP ADDRESS/URL/Points to|
See an example for Godaddy.com. For Godadday you need to go to the “DNS Zone file” of your domain and edit it, then find “A-(Host)”and insert these A-records.
Step-3: Update Publishing Setting in Blogger
- Now, go back to the Blogger Dashboard > Setting > Basic > under the “Publishing” section, click “+ Setup a 3rd party URL for your blog” and type in you domain address with “www”.
- You must tick the “redirect” option.
- Click ‘Save’. If the error “Unable to verify authority…” is down again after all the setting done properly, then wait for a few hours to update your DNS settings and again add your domain name. Contact with your domain registrar to make sure you entered the DNS settings correctly if it still isn’t working.
These are the step for setting up add a top-level domain or a subdomain your own domain for Blogger blog.
Your blog will run smoothly even after setting up a custom domain for it. However you must follow these instructions below after setting up a custom domain for blogger.
- If you are using any third party elements in your blog, you should recheck them if they are working properly. For example; third party comment system (i.e.. disqus comments), third party tracking scripts (i.e.. Tynt, )
- Log in to your Google Webmaster account and check if your new domain is added and listed in the webmaster. If not then add your site to the webmaster properly. This is also true for Bing Webmaster too.
- You Blogger SEO settings will work properly. But it is wise that update your blogs sitemaps, custom robots.txt with your blog’s new address. Previous original once with ‘.blogspot.com’ will work but you should change.
- Log in to your blog’s Google Analytics account create a new account and generate a new tracking ID for your new domain and use them in blogger blog.
Hope the information in this page helped you, if you are facing any problem then inform it by leaving a comment in below.