Google just gave a new look to the login page. Now for logging to your google account or any other google products (Gmail, YouTube), you have to enter your email address first and then enter your password.
Initially started with Gmail, it is now rolled out to all Google products. Have you tried to login to your Gmail (or Google) account lately. You will immediately see this change.
How To Sign In to Gmail Using the New Login Page
- Go to Gmail.com and click Sign in.
- You will see the first screen where you need to enter you Email address.
- Click “Next”.
- On the next page you might see you profile picture and name. This will happen if you login from that device quite often.
- Enter your password.
- Click “Sign in”.
That’s it, you have logged in to Gmail.
Accounting to the Gmail Community Manager Jordan E, this change
- This is a preparation for future authentication solutions that complement passwords.
- Will reduce confusion among people who have multiple Google accounts.
- Better experience for SAML SSO users, such as university students or corporate users that sign in with a different identity provider than Google.
But not everybody is happy with this change. One Gmail community user replied to the the community manager; “It does NOT “make sign in easier” to have to enter information on TWO screens instead of one in order to get into a Gmail account. Instead, it wastes time — which is something none of us have enough of!”.
What would be the future authentication solutions, there are no indication from Gmail. Naturally going through two screens will take twice the time and effort of any user. But will this might be the only way if any other authentication solution is used except passwords.